Homemade granola is healthier than most store bought, sugar-packed granolas. This recipe is free from the bad stuff and packed with all good and natural ingredients.
- Only use raw ingredients (raw nuts + seeds). Roasted nuts will make your granola taste burned.
- Unrefined coconut oil adds a nice subtle flavor to granola and is a healthy fat.
- For natural sweetener, I recommend local honey or a combo of honey and agave nectar :)
- Make it your own! Add any variety of dried fruits, nuts, seeds, spices, coconut flakes and zests.
- It keeps well stored in a glass jar and makes a great housewarming gift.
Homemade Nut + Seed Granola Recipe
Adapted from a recipe in Super Natural Cooking by Heidi Swanson
- 2 cups old-fashioned or quick-cooking rolled oats (gluten-free)
- 1/4 cup unsalted raw sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup unsalted raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup raw cashew and/or almond nuts, chopped into halves or quarters
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (optional)
- 1 cup assorted dried fruits (I use dried cranberries, apricots, and blueberries), chopped
- Grated zest of 1 orange
- 1/2 Tsp ground cinnamon
- Touch of sea salt
- 6 Tbsp raw mild-flavored honey (or agave nectar syrup)
- 4 Tbsp coconut oil (or safflower oil)
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste (or vanilla extract)
- Preheat the oven to 300°F and set aside 1 rimmed baking sheet.
- Combine the oats, seeds, nuts, coconut, dried fruits, cinnamon and zest in a large bowl. Heat the honey, coconut oil, and vanilla bean in a small saucepan over low heat, whisk to thoroughly combine, then pour over the oat mixture and stir until everything is well coated.
- Spread the mixture into a thin layer on the baking sheet. Bake, stirring every 10 minutes, for about 30-40 minutes, until toasty golden brown. Cool completely, then store in an airtight container at room temperature.